300g of Dragonfly Premium tofu (pressed and crumbled)
40 ml balsamic vinegar
20 ml agave syrup
1 onion or 1/2 leek (minced)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
fresh basil to taste (chopped)
45g fresh breadcrumbs
1 tbsp olive oil or oil
1 large red onion (finely chopped)
2 courgettes (cubed)
1/4 fresh red and 1/4 green chilli pepper, or to taste, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
1 can of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp dried herbs
1 tbsp tomato puree
100 ml water (add more if needed)
a dash balsamic vinegar
pinch of salt
fresh parsley (chopped)
a little honey, agave syrup, rice syrup or brown sugar to taste
soya cream (optional)
a little oil
1) Mix the agave syrup and balsamic together and marinate the crumbled tofu in the mixture for an hour. Turn occasionally and make sure all sides are covered.
2) Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
3) Now make the tofu balls. Drain any excess marinade off the tofu. Add the breadcrumbs, minced onions, garlic and basil to the tofu mixture and mix all together. Use your hands to make 20 balls out of the tofu mixture. Bake on a greased baking sheet for 20-25 mins or until brown. Turn over once and if they’re not getting brown then brush with a little oil.
Or add a tbsp of oil to a pan, heat and fry the tofu balls for 7-8, turning once instead.
4) To make the sauce. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, add the chopped onion, garlic and chillies and fry for 3 mins. Then add the chopped courgette and fry for another few mins.
5) Add the chopped tomatoes, fresh herbs, tomato puree (mix well), a drop of balsamic vinegar, a pinch of salt and the water. Cover and simmer for 15 mins, taste after 5 mins and add honey or vegan syrup or brown sugar if you like it sweeter. When cooked, add fresh parsley, soya cream (optional) and puree.
6) When the sauce is cooking then cook the pasta as directed on the packet.
7) Serve the pasta with the sauce and meatballs and garnish with freshly chopped parsley and basil.
– use a jar of passata or veggie or vegan pasta sauce to save time